Sunday, April 09, 2017

Having a bedroom plant



I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have a plant in the bedroom. I got the idea from several Youtube videos that I've seen. As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I do grow a lot of aloe vera plants. Propagation of this succulent plant is quite easy. They produce offshoots every so often which can be cut to produce another full grown plant. The offshoots may come from the roots or in between their thick succulent leaves.

From 1 single medium size plant, I was able to reproduce my now 35 pots of aloe vera collections. 12 of them are full grown while the rest are still in their growing up stage. In their growing up stage, they can be vulnerable. A miscalculated step may result into their demise. Common mistakes that affects them are : over or underwatering, under or over exposure to sunlight, and wrong type of soil. It takes time with keen observation to identify their needs. With the right know how, growing aloe vera is quite easy. They are in fact low maintenance.

Of all the offshoots that I have propagated, I fancy one that has an odd appearance since the beginning. It sprang from the side of one of the full growns. It is multi-headed. At first, it was not too obvious. What I noticed is that it has more leaves than the other offshoots. It sprang in between the leaves, so it did not have roots when I plucked it out. It being multi-headed is also not evident. It appeared like it has only 1 body.



The moment I saw it, I grew a liking into it. I took extra care when transplanting it. This one has to grow, I told my self. Months has passed, It now shows its true form. It has turned into a multi-headed plant. It did not grow big like its siblings though. It has 9 heads.

Last weekend, I have it transplanted as I want to place it in my bedroom. I have it cleaned and dried up before transferring it to its new pot. Unfortunately, 1 head fell off, so it now only have 8 heads. Still a good number though. I put some pebbles on top of it and two used perfume bottles as decors. They now sit near my bedroom window. They have their 1st watering yesterday morning. I love the way they look. I hope they like their new home. Plants can be choosy with regards to their environment. It is still too early to tell if they will adapt. I certainly hope they do.

Since it will be my bedroom companion, I have given it a name. Let her be known as Ameerah, the 8 headed aloe vera. Go, grow and glow Ameerah. Gambatte ne.






 Some BTS photos:



  









After being uprooted, washed and let dried.

     










Pebbles for toppings in 2 colors. They came from an old aquarium.



















Pot with floral shaped base



















ready for transplanting












Initial look after transplanting



















The final look with additional decors. 

No comments: